I don’t do New Year Resolutions, but I do enjoy making goals and plans! The following are not dependent on it being a new year. They are just things that I want to continue to work on, or start, in 2021 and beyond.
- Make money from my blog. No shame in talking about money! I wish more bloggers in the book-o-sphere would discuss it. Every blogging niche talks openly about money except for us bookish folks. It’s like it’s a dirty topic or something. But I do want to start making even a modest living online.
- Lose weight. The most cliche New Year Resolution ever! But it’s not a resolution. I had lost ~80 in 2017-2018 and I felt great! Then I had foot surgery in early 2019 and gained some back, and then gained even more during the course of lockdown. I’ve been trying and failing to get back on track, and now that the holiday goodies are out of the house, I feel like I can focus more. Ideally I’d like to lose 30 pounds.
- Read 365 books. This is actually my stretch goal. I set my Goodreads goal to 300, and if I reach that I’d love to hit 365 and beyond! I read 334 in 2020, for reference. I’m at 31 books for 2021 so far…
- Watch 21 new-to-me movies. This should be fairly simple with the influx of streaming options. I watched…a lot…in 2020 and my list has barely dwindled. So far, I’ve watched two: Less Is Now and Soul.
- Visit Hawaii. I’ve never been and I wanted to go in October for my birthday, but travel into Hawaii wasn’t allowed until October 15th as long as you tested negative for COVID within 72 hours of your flight. My birthday is the 16th and I wanted to stay the entire month of October. Maybe this year? This is more of a hope than a plan.
- Visit Tokyo Disneyland and Disneysea. I was suppose to be there last May, but obviously that did not happen. Thankfully, I was able to get a refund on my hotel. I also have a flight credit that’s good until September 2022. I’m holding on to hope of getting there this May. If not, I’ll skip Hawaii for October if that’s possible. If not…sad face.
- Low buy year. I actually did this for 2020. Well, it was from Thanksgiving 2019 to Thanksgiving 2020. Then I went crazy a little, but I stuck with my budget, so I’d say it’s fine. And thus began my next low buy year. I don’t want to call it a “no spend year” because I spend money. Just not on frivolous things. For instance, I went to Disney World and set up this blog and bought shampoo. But I didn’t randomly buy clothes and nail polish and Sims games and whatever other random things I purchase that add up over the course of the year. Same rules for 2021.
- Engage more. I am noticeably bad at commenting and social media. I want to get better at this.
- Get snakebite piercings. Okay, that seems totally random, but I’ve always wanted them but always worked a job where face piercings weren’t allowed. 2020 would have been the perfect time to get them since I was unemployed. Obviously that wasn’t possible with mandatory masks and social distancing. Perhaps I can finally do it later this year.
- Learn a language. I had started learning Japanese back in 2019 when I booked my trip. Then it got cancelled and I just gave up. I’d love to pick it back up because I was having a blast learning Japanese. I also did an introductory class on ASL on Skill Share and think that would be a good language to learn as well. My boyfriend thinks I should learn Spanish, because that’s his first language and it actually is the most useful second language for Californians. German would also be a good because it’s my mom’s first language. I just don’t know.
What are you all hoping to accomplish this year?