If you’re looking for someone to read your finished manuscript and provide honest feedback on it before publishing, consider hiring me as a beta reader! As a beta reader, I will read your manuscript from the perspective of a reader and offer constructive criticism. I am not an editor or a fact checker. I will only be looking at your manuscript as someone who loves books and wants yours to be the best reading experience it can be!
My Skills and Qualifications
- I am currently an editing intern with Entangled Publishing.
- I am an avid reader and reviewer, averaging 200 books per year. This gives me a strong grasp on what works and what doesn’t–at least for me–in fiction.
- I have been part of the online book community for 10 years, so I’ve also seen what other readers think of book trends and tropes to help you avoid groan-worthy cliches.
- I have a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science. Obviously, this isn’t English related in the slightest, but as a science major, I did a lot of peer review in my classes.
- I am detailed oriented (thanks, Science!) in my reading and can see where there are holes or inconsistencies.
- If your manuscript contains characters from marginalized groups, and you need someone from those groups to sensitivity read, I am part of the following groups:
- LGBT+: Bisexual/polysexual
- PoC: Biracial (half-Black, half-white)
- Disability: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Plus Sized Woman
- I love books and want to see yours succeed!
What I Will Do For You
- I will read your manuscript carefully and thoroughly with a critical eye.
- I will make note of any places where world-building, characterization, dialogue, and plot development are conflicting, confusing, incomplete, or offensive.
- I will give you honest feedback, even if it is negative or seems harsh.
- I will make comments on specific lines, at the end of each chapter, and a summary of my thoughts after completing the entire manuscript.
- I will offer suggestions for improvement. Of course, you are not obligated to implement them.
What I Will NOT Do For You
- I will not specifically edit for spelling, grammar, or punctuation. However, when something does pop out at me, I will make note of it, particularly if it is repeated.
- I will not review your manuscript. I am reading to help you improve your story, not to promote it.
- I will not post my comments in a public forum. All of my notes and critiques will stay between us.
Types of Manuscripts I’m Interested In
- Fiction only! I am not as well-read in Non Fiction, so I would not have much to offer in terms of critique.
- Short stories, novellas, and full-length novels.
- Adult, New Adult, and Young Adult.
- My preferred genres are: Romance (Contemporary and Paranormal), Science Fiction, and Urban Fantasy. These are not the only genres I will accept, but they are the ones that I read the most and feel most comfortable critiquing.
Prices and Terms*
- $3.50 per 1,000 words — For reference, a 75,000 word novel would cost $262.50, and a 25,000 word novella would cost $87.50.
- Payments will be done through Paypal and must be received before I start beta reading.
- Due to the nature of the work, I cannot offer refunds if you change your mind after I have begun. It will be up to you if you want the comments for the portion I have completed.
- I will complete my beta read within 14 days of receipt of payment. If for any reason I am unable to complete my beta read on time (life happens!), I will notify you as soon as possible.
- If your manuscript is part of a series where previous books are already complete, I must ask that you provide the completed book(s) so that I can put your current work into context and check for continuity.
- I will charge an additional $20 for books up to 75,000 words and $35 per longer book.
- Please allow me 3-4 extra days per additional book.
- Not required for a companion series where no plot elements are carried forward.
- If you need my critique sooner, a rush fee of $100 will be added and I will complete my beta read within 5 days for manuscripts up to 75,000 words and 7 days for longer works.
- If I am reading prior books in a series, allow 1-2 day per additional book.
- I will consider manuscripts on a case by case basis–based on my interest and availability–and will notify you by e-mail if I would like to beta read your manuscript or not. If you do not hear from me within a week of submitting the form, please submit it again.
*Prices and terms are subject to change without notice.
Angie’s work was thorough, timely, and professional. She saw the best in my book, and a hope for it to succeed pervades Angie’s feedback. In addition to her initial notes, Angie was happy to have further conversations about how potential changes would improve my work, acting as a sounding board for new ideas. Being a white writer, I especially appreciate Angie’s sensitivity insights as I write about people of darker skin tone than myself. She pointed out a few places where I had reinforced existing racial stereotypes, allowing me to scrub these from the book. Angie has proven to be an invaluable resource, and I would highly recommend her work as a beta and sensitivity reader.
— Maxie Mettler (Author of For Our Mothers)
I approached Angie to beta read for me when I was submitting a story for inclusion in an science fiction anthology. Her suggestions were so spot on! She paid attention to little details – like how does that bed ACTUALLY work? – and bigger world building issues. All of her questions and suggestions really improved my writing and I have no doubt the changes I made were key to my ultimate success and inclusion in the anthology. I highly recommend Angie and will be using her services for my work in the future!
— Kimberly Sams (Author of Simulated Perfection)
Angie’s notes were both insightful and encouraging, and with her keen eye she spotted both small and big picture issues that neither I nor other readers had spotted. I loved the in-manuscript notes and the chapter by chapter reactions. It really helps to get a feeling for how a reader is responding to the work as they proceed through your book. I’ll definitely be consulting Angie again. Very good value and a great help!
— Gabrielle Prendergast (Author of Zero Repeat Forever)